a midsummer fairy shoe


Happy Midsummer and Fairy Day!

I'm so glad you can join me today for my Altered Fairy Shoe challenge. I know some of you needed to jump start your creative muse again like I do and this was a great way for me to get moving.


The challenge was to take an actual shoe and alter it into a fabulous piece of art with a fairy theme. I found a pair of old shoes sitting in my garage recently. I think I wore them to a friend's wedding many, many years ago. I decided to challenge myself to only use materials I had on hand so I wouldn't have to buy anything new.


But I came across this roll of ribbon moss and I knew it was exactly what I needed for my shoe so I allowed myself one new item. Everything else is from my stash of this and that.

After making friends with my glue gun once again my fairy shoe started to come together.


I used ribbon moss, spanish moss, velvet pansies, sculpted paper flowers, vintage millinery pearls, twigs, vintage sheet music, paint and of course lots and lots of glitter and frost.




I imagined a midsummer wedding in the woods for a fairy queen. I see her walking on a carpet of moss with shoes such as these, embellished with bits and bobs gathered from the forest floor.

Creating my shoe was so much fun. I had truly forgotten how much I love to just let my imagination go. The hardest part is always knowing when to stop adding to it.


There's always room for one more flower or a bit more glitter.


Finally I was quite  happy with the way my first
altered art shoe turned out.



 
I searched for a magical spot until I found the perfect fairy bower.

 


And there I left a gift for the fairy queen, hoping she might enjoy a token of my appreciation for dusting me with a pinch of midsummer magic.

Thank you for letting me share a little fairy whimsy with you!

I decided to just alter one shoe but you are very welcome to do a pair. Since I only used one I started thinking about what to do with the other shoe.




Visions of pumpkins and Halloween started dancing in my head.  I thought perhaps you might join me again in a few months for another altered shoe challenge. So start gathering your spookiest and witchiest embellishments and join me in September for The Autumn Altered Witchy Shoe Challenge!

Thank you everyone for sharing your amazing pieces of art. I can't wait to see all the fairy magic you created. Below is a linky so you can link up your post. Make sure to visit everyone's post and have a fabulous summer fairy weekend.


Ooops!

If you're trying to link up and the linky won't work please let me know in your comment and I'll add your link to this list. Sorry guys, I'm not sure why it's doing that but let me know so we don't miss your fabulous shoes!

I'm going to leave this post up for a few days so if you want to jump in and add a last minute project you're more than welcome to do so.




19 comments:

ShabbyChicShaz said...

Simply delightful x

Laura said...

magically fairietastic! I'm sure the fairie queen will love her shoe!
blessings
~*~

Fran. said...

Oh Anna I LOVE the shoe!! I would love to be in the September one!! My mind started creating already!! LOL I loved being in your bag a month!! I am still creating myself and gardening!! Glad to see you still have your mojo!! Keep on keepin on!! XO Fran.

Lady of the Woods said...

I've done it....phew....it was a challenge indeed...my muse just seemed to be on vacation, I see what you mean when you say you try to jump start your muse....mine needed some thing I didn't have...but its done. :D

Lady of the Woods said...

by the way I LOVE your shoe!

Chrislyn said...

I made it !YEA! I am all linked up ( I hope ). Thank you so much for the challenge, Anna! I loved it! I will look forward to the next one!
Your shoe is absolutely gorgeous! I love the colors you used. And of course there is always room for more!

Chrislyn

Conversations with the Muses said...

Thank you sooooo much Anna for such an inspiring blog party! I have had so much fun playing with my muse and the faeries! I LOVE your shoe! Why can't human designers make such lovely whimsical goodies.
Count me in for any of your great parties!
Blessings,
Tricia

Rachel said...

Your shoe is very beautiful, I'd love a pair like that. :-)

I've loved this party, can't wait to see all the shoes. :-)

Anonymous said...

That looks so fabulous, great work !! I love the butterfly on the shoe. Have a great day.

Jane K said...

Oh wow I just love your fairy shoe anna, such enchantment, it would whisk you away to a night of fairy dancing.

I've going to go off and see if I can find a shoe so I can join in an play, may be a bit too late to link up but it's such a lovely idea. I'll make a note of the witchy shoe and be better prepared for that.

Love all the shoes I've seen linked so far.

J x

Hazel (Didos) said...

WOW I love it. Stunning, I will definitely join in the Autumn one. With a real shoe and not a paper one.
Thanks for the inspiration, Hazelx
(I made a Fairy Shoe too but not with a Real Shoe. Its http://didosdesigns.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/fairy-shoe.html If you want a look. Really must read instructions better!!!)

Marfi-topia said...

i love how this turned out!!!
I'm all done with my post...don't know if it linked up correctly:)
Thank you!!!!

SparkleFarkel said...

I'd be willing to walk a mile (probably even more) in anybody's shoes, if these were the ones! Simply enchanting≧❀‿❀≦!

Jessica said...

Ooh, absolutely delightful! My shoes are up as well! Visit Rapunzel Studio at www.awoodlandfantasy.blogspot.com

Wendy Aspinall said...

sorry i'm late .... welcome back and for with a bang your shoes is fabulous Anna

hugs wendy

Linda said...

Oh my goodness Anna, this shoe is wonderous. I can see a Faerie actually wearing this to a party. I can't wait to see more...

Thanks for sharing.

pchickki said...

Fantastic altered shoe!
You are a generous !

I tried this a couple of years ago. Lots of fun for sure !

Anonymous said...

How Fabulous! What joy a midsummer wedding would be in such a shoe!!!

Ms Misantropia said...

I'm soooo sad I missed this challenge, how I would have loved to join! Well, I'm adding you as a favorite now, so i can keep track of your other fabulous events :)