a tale of gypsy dreams


Hello gypsy sisters and friends!


I'm so excited to see everyone's wagon around the campfire. Thank you so much to Celia for putting this great party together.


I hope you don't mind that I brought everything with me, including my Luna of course who did not want to miss out on all the fun. I have never been one to pack lightly, especially for a journey as magical as this. I'll just park my wagon right here.

**You can click on each image for a larger view.**


The candles and lanterns are ready. Fading autumn roses perfume the woodland air and fireflies will light your way to my front door.


Join me inside for a spot of tea. A special blend that came all the way from my gypsy sisters in the Vieux Carre. Mildly spicy and wickedly sweet.


They say the old fortune tellers indulged in a cup or two before gazing into their crystal ball.


Here is a favorite card to remind us to always nurture our gypsy souls. I found it a few years ago, it's from Duirwaigh Studios, a most amazing band of artisan gypsies I might add. It still inspires me everyday.

Today I get to be that Gypsy Soul so curl up on a pillow and I will share with you my little gypsy tale.


I fell in love with the idea of gypsy life and their fascinating wagons when I was very young. Not from Disney stories or fairy tales but from a visit to my grandmother who lived in a far away country.


Her house was an old Spanish colonial filled with hand carved wood, windows with dainty shell panes and a mysterious fern garden that grew wild in the shadow of a great stone staircase.


It was at my "lola's" house (grandmother)  that I learned to love old beautiful things.

She lived on the main street of a small town and one day a caravan of  covered wagons rolled into town passing right in front of her house. They were not fancy wagons like the colorful romantic vardos we're all familiar with. Just simple wood carts with plain cloth shells and small horses pulling each one along (or maybe they were cattle).


The people walking alongside the wagons were also dressed in simple hot weather clothing. They were merchants on their way to sell their wares at the next town.


The wagons were stuffed with baskets and boxes of every size, textiles and cloth hung from the wooden frame and I think I remember seeing an assortment of handmade brooms peeking out from under the cloth cover. I remember the people calling out to the curious townsfolk, inviting us to buy their goods.

There was the sound of bells that came from either the horses, the wagons or maybe the travelers themselves. I don't remember really,  but the sight and sound of that caravan stayed with me forever.


I do remember being very excited and asking my lola all about them.

I wanted to see what else was in those wagons. How much could they possibly fit in there and what it was like to live in one of them, traveling from one place to another?


I wanted to run down the stone steps and go away with them.


Later on I would learn about other gypsy cultures. I would fall in love with the intricately carved vardos, the layers of rich fabrics, faded tapestries and delicate lace adorning the interiors.

I would dream of traveling in one of my own, a modern one maybe, like a vintage Airstream trailer, such as this amazing one from Magnolia Pearl. I would fill it with my favorite things and lots of goodies for making art and I would travel to my favorite cities, sleepy Big Sur on our rugged California coast and the decadent and artsy French Quarter in New Orleans.


Then I would make my way to a forest of towering redwood trees and camp deep in the heart of the woods under a waning autumn moon.


For now my gypsy wagon exists in my heart. A place I go to for solace, inspiration and dreams. But with a little imagination I can create that space in a cozy corner of my house, surround myself with favorite things and dream of traveling to such far away places.


Oh are you enjoying your tea? Forgive me, I also prepared wonderful fairy cakes for you but it seems the fey have already helped themselves to it. Well it's time for us to go and see all the other wonderful wagons.

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I thank you for listening
to the tale of my gypsy dreams.


Thank you again to the lovely Celia from Adventures of the Striped Stockings for putting this all together. Her blog name makes me smile whenever I read it. Wearing striped stockings always promises new adventures.


Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by. I have a little gift to giveaway which I will craft especially for the winner. I'll choose a name from the comments next Friday night, September 16.

The mini wagon is on it's way to another gypsy soul.
It's a surprise so I hope she likes it!



Please remember to go back to the Gypsy Dreams page for the list of all the participants. Have a beautiful weekend and I will see many of you again at my Practical Magic party very soon!




37 comments:

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Your story is a beauty as are all the yummy photos of fanciful things. Thanks so much for sharing your Lola's house memories. I hope someday my grands will write of the adventures we have had. Speaking of which, come see my gypsy grand and our Gypsy Dream at Ye Olde Crones Gazette.
I've had a lovely time, adieu Oma Linda

Celia said...

Beautiful Anna!!!! I love your story and your pictures....everything you do is so magical!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the last picture of the wagon with the striped stockings!!! Thank you for participating and I will see you again real soon at your PM party!!

Linda said...

You told a beautiful story. Love all your reserch from your childhood. I bet you have more stories. would love to hear them. Wondrous photos. Very well done.

Wendy Aspinall said...

wonderful post miss Anna I could feel the wonder of those wagons... hugs wendy

Anonymous said...

Oh Anna, how magical! Your tea is by far the best I have ever sampled. I loved your story and the images are simply enchanting. Thank you for an unforgettable party!

Jorgelina said...

Beautiful story.
The banner is wonderful.
All magic
Happy Gypsy Dreams!

Anonymous said...

Oh Anna, I want to come travel with you. You can create the treasures and I will hawk them to the townspeople. Your creations are so wonderful they could sell themselves.

Laura B said...

Such a beautiful post, it speaks to my soul! Thank you for sharing your dream.:)

Magaly Guerrero said...

My Piano Man walked in as I was reading your post and asked "Why are you caressing your screen?" I purred "Preeeetty!"

So adorable. And I'm psyched for Practical Magic!

Pellie / Penny said...

Very beautiful and wonderfully written post Anna.

Hugs,
Penny

Plumrose Lane said...

Oh Anna, you always amaze and delight ~ I'm in constant awe at your talent, both visual and in written form, what a beautiful soul you are!

How fortunate you were to have had a grandmother who lived in a far off land too, such a wonderful influence your visit must have had on your life and creativity.

I've no doubt that's one very happy and fortunate recipient of that special wagon you made ~ too darling!
I hope you enjoy your travels with this party, you've made mine that much more special!
♥Sharon

Susan said...

Anna, as always a lovely story and magical images :)
Susan

pchickki said...

What a beautiful and magical post. I love your background!

Anonymous said...

This is such a wonderful story, thank you so much for ahring. I love the beautiful pictures too.
Have A magical day !!

Tamara said...

Anna! This was absolutely beautiful! Your designs and graphics are breathtaking!:) What a beautiful dream you shared. It reminded me of when I was a little girl...a band of gypsies came through our small town. Everyone was panicking and gathering their children. They camped outside of town and we drove out there to see them. They were peacefully camping together and I remember thinking it was so cool! Like you saw when you were young, they had wooden wagons with alot of wares tied to them. Beautiful post, thank you :)

apinkdreamer said...

happy gypsy dreams!!!

Victoria said...

Yay Anna..wow... a beautiful spirited gyspy soul you are!!..I So loved your stories and sharings..gorgeous photos and imagery...stunning..shine on..a spectacular post!
HUgs and sparkles
Victoria

Jane K said...

Oh what beautiful memories and gypsy dreams. Your photos are so stunning and pretty, your gypsy soul shines through them all.

frith and wishes
J x

Terri said...

Anna, this is my first time to your magical blog and I love it! Your dreamy post is fab, and I enjoyed hearing about your early encounter with the Gypsies. Thank you so much for sharing!
Hugs,
Terri

Anonymous said...

What an enchanting story Anna! Your Gypsy Vardo is beautiful! I will see you on the 24th!

Happy Gypsy Dreams!

Shelly said...

you are so talented! such a lovely post! i have read it three times! thank you for sharing this with us..

hugs and love
elle

Birgit said...

What can I say? Pure magic! :) I love all the photos -- so inspiring, so beautiful. Thanks for this wonderful party post! I am looking forward to seeing your Practical Magic post. So far I haven't come up with something special, but I sure hope to have some time to join the fun.

Greetings from Germany,
Birgit

AlphaBetsy said...

Lovely post. The imagery is so lush I want to be a part of it. :)

Theresa MacNaughton said...

I just KNEW you would have an absolutely enchanting gypsy post!!! :) Loved every minute of this, Anna. :) There is something so magical about the gypsy spirit. :) Thank you for such a lovely time!

Anonymous said...

Oh, wonderful, wonderful gypsy dream! So lovely, all the details. I love the silver hand sculpture you have in one of the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Great post! I love the lady in your ninth photos when you speak about your Lola's house. She is brimming over with confident personality - and the wind chimes - love that! May all your gypsy dreams come true!

tebra said...

Hi my name is Tebra, and this is one of the most amazing sites ive ever been on. I love everything about it. Your page is beautiful, Halloween is my favorite time it always has been and always will be. Im envious of the life you've created. I will continue to visit your page now that I have found it. Theres so much to read and explore. Thank you for putting such a wonderful site out there.

Healing Woman said...

What an absolutely beautiful posts. The sounds and pictures carried me to a far away place that I remember well. Thanks so much!

Buccaneers and Ball Gowns said...

Oh my, I love all your images! Isn't nice to know that until we have that opportunity to run away in our gypsy wagons, we can create that gypsy feeling in our own little houses? Your post was wonderful and I am looking forward to the Practical Magic Party too!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such a wonderful story. The pictures are just beautiful. I adore your cozy corner--it is very cozy! I absolutely LOVE your banner and graphics. Looking forward to seeing you at the Practical Magic party!

Wishing you magical gypsy dreams!
Chrislyn

Bohemian said...

Oh Anna what an Enchanting Journey you have taken us along on in your Gypsy Dream... the Images are amazing and the Story is wonderful.

Many of my fondest Memories are of traveling extensively and moving often throughout my childhood. It has only been much later in life that I settled down and I do find that though I have a lovely permanent Home now, the call of the Open Road is still very strong in me... I considered it an enriching experience I was fortunate to have... once a Nomad, always a Nomad I suppose...

I'm delighted to have found your Beautiful Blog via the Gypsy Dream Party... may all of your Gypsy Dreams become your Realities.

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

Wizardess said...

Just exquisite!

chillin with Quillin said...

That was an awsome story and loved the pictures, I felt like I was there, loved it!!!!!
Paula

GerryART said...

Oh, why was I such a good girl.
My Mother would lovingly tell us is we misbehaved we'd be sold to the Gypsies.
Why, oh, why didn't I misbehave.

My imagination is swirling.

hugs

beverly e said...

Beautiful page... beautiful story. Sweet dreams!



Dixienites@gmail.com

Lynn Stevens said...

Anna, What a wonderful tale you tell of the gypsies that passed by your lola's home. Enchanting!
hugs Lynn

Queenie Believe said...

Absolutely beautiful Gypsy Dream post!! Thank you, have a great day.