where bloggers create 2011


Welcome to my creative space. This is my second year participating in Where Bloggers Create, hosted by Karen Valentine at My Desert Cottage.


My studio is still in the same spot. Mainly in my dinning room but as my art grew, so did all my stuff. So I branched out just a little. This room is now used mainly for storage. The hutch holds everything from my art supplies to all our general office stuff.


I used to work at this table but I got tired of always having to clean up my projects when it was time to eat. And since I like to work standing up most of the time, it was really starting to bother my back. I love my mid-century modern dinning set but the table is just a little too low.



My hutch holds some of the many gifts I have received from dear friends I met through blogging, like the magical Garden Spells chair, Petunia art doll and birthday collage from Marfi.



I also keep my favorite magazines here.



This iron stand is to the left of the hutch. It was kiwi green and had become too rusty after being in the garden a few years, so I gave it a coat of vintage white and brought it in.



I have learned a lot from my collection of art books. I also started the Artful Bag Challenge this year so I can indulge my love for embellishing old bags like this one.



For storage I like to use thrift store finds and mini wooden drawers and cabinets.



I also like to use glass jars to store ribbons, trim and baubles.



This jewelry organizer holds paper flowers, trim and other embellishments. It hangs behind the stand when not in use.


This is the small table to the right of the hutch. The craft cabinet is another favorite thrift store find. It was a very heavy wooden cassette tape holder I got for about $4.


After I took all the pictures for this post I decided to play with it some more and here is how the case ended up. You can read more about the inspiration for this project here.


To the right of the table is a fabric divider screen I made when I used to do craft shows.



I needed something to break up the long wall of tables and stands to keep things from looking too busy. It also helped to anchor my favorite chair so it didn't get lost visually.



The screen and chair divide the space between the dining room and the living room, which is to the right of my work table. This was just a small empty walk through space but I got the idea to set up a work table right by the window. I love being able to adjust the shutters and use all that great natural lighting.

 

 And my old chair is a perfect place for me to relax and think about new projects...when it isn't occupied by my marmalade tabby, Luna.



A very skinny wall next to the kitchen is another spot I coveted for my creative space. This wall and the kitchen are to the left of the dinning table. You can see part of the tea cart in the previous picture. The wooden shelf was another thrift store treasure.



I use it to display artwork, projects and to create vignettes for blog parties or just for fun. The small 'retablo' art to the right of the shelf was made by my cousin who is also a mixed media artist 



My old tea cart is right below the shelf. Almost everything here is a thrift store find. A wire record album holder and wooden plate rack hold my files and decorative papers. The wire candelabra is a favorite find from last Fall.


And this retro typewriter was a great buy at $14 and a birthday present to myself this year.



Another view of my work table and chair. Under the table is a small rolling cart and on top of the cart is a great organizer that was, yup, another thrift store treasure.


My work table is not very big so I make the most of it by using holders and organizers that stack or spin. To make it a comfortable height to work at when I'm standing, I set the table on bed risers.


Cigar boxes are also great for storage.



I used to wish I had a separate room to turn into a 'real' studio, where I would be able to shut the door and not worry about my stuff spilling onto the rest of the house.



But I learned to love having my art space out in the open. It may be more of a challenge that requires me to be extra creative about where to put everything, but that's also the best part of it. And  I really love it when someone comes over and says 'Oh you're an artist!'



Thank you for stopping by to visit and thank you to Karen from My Desert Cottage for hosting again. There are lots of amazing and creative spaces to see so make sure to go there for the list of participants.

p.s. My studio assistant Luna wasn't available during this year's photo shoot. She was napping in a different room and I had to get the pictures done while the light was nice. I also didn't get to include my laptop because my son was using it. So here is a photo from last year's WBC. You can see how my space looked then.




Have a lovely creative day!

38 comments:

Wendy Aspinall said...

I love your space Anna, and it works because you managed to create some wonerful peices of at ... they all look beautiful on your walls ... thank you for sharing it again... hugs wendy

apinkdreamer said...

wonderful space!!!

Thespoena McLaughlin said...

That was so much fun sweet girl! I'm on my way over to play, LOL. And I love your new blog design too! Hugs!
Thespa

Jaluza Scrap said...

Amei cada foto... Maravilhosas!!!
Uma inspiração...
Bjs

Pretty Things said...

SO much to love, so I'm a new follower!

LOVE the embellished bags. LOVE the retro typewriters -- I have a pink one and two antiques that I'm showing today. Your art is EXACTLY what I love. I'm just so in love with your space and could see spending hours in it.


I hope you'll have time to visit my spaces...

http://www.prettythingsblog.com/2011/07/where-bloggers-create-2011-pretty.html

Leanne said...

Always always always love to see the creative spaces of dear blog friends - and this one is wonderful!!! I think you have a wonderful environment to create in, my dear, and LOVE this room. I have GOT to make a space of my own. No time like the present!

Jill Marcott-McCall ~Feathers & Flight~ said...

Good Morning Anna!
I Love your Space! Wonderfully Warm and Inviting! I can see that your Creative Muses Come to Visit here often!
Have a Wonderful Day!
Hugs
Jill

Art From The heart said...

What a charming place to be the creative you. Thanks for sharing with us.
hugs

Fran. said...

Oh thanks so much for sharing Anna! I love the way you have incorporated your art and creations throughout your home!! It makes it probably so much easier and fun for you to create your awesome artwork!! I love all of your thrifty ways you organize! and I also love that you share with us! I would have never thought of an old cassette holder! I just love that ideal! I also showed my creative space. Stop by I have your heart up on my inspiration gate! Your talent is amazing. Love, XO Fran.

Linda said...

A very enchanting work space, so very organized and fun. I love looking at your artwork all around. Great job. I'm off to see more.

Anonymous said...

I love the hutch that you are using for storage, very pretty! I also really like the idea of the rolling cart, I never thought of that before, great idea! :) Thank you for sharing your space with us!

~Alli

Angela Weimer said...

Its a wonderful space with some great storage ideas. You really do some lovely work in there. Thanks for sharing you space,Now I am off to the next place. Have a great day. Angela

Celia said...

You have a beautiful place to create your artwork! Hopefully my space will be all together for next year! I'm off to visit more creative inspiration!

bertie said...

Love all of your goodies and your imaginative treasures! Hope you are doing another "Practical Magic" party this year...I loved the last one! Thanks for sharing your space and I hope you will stop by my studio and say hello! blessed be....bertie
www.queenbartistry.blogspot.com

Leanne said...

lovely space. have added you to my Google Reader :)

Donna said...

Great space!!!! It's nice to have it right there where you can see it and keep inspired!!!!

RuthSMac. said...

Thanks for sharing your place, your artwork is so dreamy and whimsical ^^ This is my first time in this blog hop of creative spaces. I'm your new follower.

Plumrose Lane said...

What a beautiful and inspiring location to create in!
♥Sharon

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing the amazing space you create your beauty in. Such an inspiration. Happy weekend to you!

Karen Valentine said...

There are some definite benefits to creating in a dining room or family room. The main one is being able to hang out with your family while you are playing! What you have created there truly is a functional and beautiful space! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!
xo,
Karen

kluless said...

So fun to see all your treasures and your embelished bag is beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

JoAnne said...

I enjoyed seeing where all your amazing creations originate Anna! I'm a dining room person too.

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

Hi Anna,

I love your artwork. We met at last year's party. I like the way you have stored your supplies and your work station in front of the window is good. I love all of my windows. And I have to laugh about your favorite chair....I posted mine too! Wait til you see it...it is almost identical in style to yours but I haven't slip covered mine yet. Is yours a swival rocker?

Pink Sparkles,

Stephanie Suzanne ♥
Queen of Dreamsz

Theresa MacNaughton said...

Thanks for sharing your creative space, Anna. It was fun taking a sneak peek inside your realm! :)

Claudia said...

I think it is wonderful that you are surrounded by your art and your tools - why not? You've organized the whole thing beautifully. Thanks for sharing your space with us.

Rebecca Nelson said...

Great place to create. I think it is wonderful you keep your artwork around you. Only way to work!

Thank you for sharing~

Rebecca

Maggie said...

Putting your work-table on risers...brilliant! I loved your line about people coming in and saying "oh you're an artist"--- that's a great affirmation. Great space, and love how you've used your hutch to hold so much stuff and have it be incorporated in your living space.

maggie
http://www.themagrag.com

Margaret said...

Thank you for showing us around your beautiful art space, I really enjoyed your photos. It's always lovely to see where others work! Mx

Victoria said...

Yay Anna...what a magical space..thanks for letting me inside for a peek..your home is gorgeous...your decor is beautiful and your creations and the way your art is displayed is magnificent..pure joy and magic visiting here...i so enjoyed this advnture you took me on..thankyou kindred! BEAUTIFUL!!
and love the kitty!!
Hugs
victoria

Unknown said...

Your art tickles me right to the tips of my toes! Your studio workspace is so grand and marvelous no wonder you are inspired to paint thus!!! Just love your work to bits. I am now following! *smiles* Norma

marie said...

You have so many wonderful creative areas...and I love the things you create there. Your artwork makes me smile! Love your header too!

Unknown said...

I'm loving visiting everyone's creative spaces...

So, inspiring.

And, any blog with a name this fabulous I have got to follow...Glad I discovered you!

Creative Grammie said...

Aloha Anna,
You have a wonderful work space to create in. And I love your artwork.
Thanks for sharing your space and your artwork, I enjoyed my visit.

Unknown said...

You've certainly done a good job integrating your studio into your living space. I love your creations - the pictures, the fairy shoe and the craft cabinet! Thank you for the tour.

Tammy said...

Your creative space is fabulous! I love the paintings and the craft cabinet looks like a fun project! Thank you for the tour!

scrapwordsmom said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry said...

Wow! Your space is fantastic! You are so creative!
Terry

debi said...

What a great space! You've come up with some creative ways to store your supplies and still have a beautiful and inspiring room.