alice and anna

Alice


Well I finally got around to seeing Alice in Wonderland this week! I'm definitely glad I saw it. I know it's had mixed reviews but the art alone to me is worth it. I loved the colors, lighting, effects and costumes. I think the young actress that played Alice, who looks so much like a young Gwyneth Paltrow, did a wonderful job. Of course Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter and Anne Hathaway were excellent too. I came across an art book a few weeks back that featured the costumes and sets from the movie so I might have to hunt that down and add  it to my wish list. So has anyone else seen it? What did you think?

....and Anna


I wasn't named after the legendary Anna Pavlova although it would be very cool to say I was. I use several of her images on my blog as you can see. I've always been fascinated by her and the Russian Ballet. One year I was lucky enough to see the Moscow Ballet perform The Nutcracker during it's US tour. The first fragrance I ever wore was named after her, Pavlova. It came in a frosted bottle with pink flowers and had a very Art Deco feel to it. Anna Pavlova is the quintessential classic ballerina. Dainty and almost frail. She was passionate about her craft and is famously known for how she clutched her costume from The Dying Swan as she lay dying of pleurisy in 1931. Miss Pavlova was just shy of turning 50.

Anna Pavlova was born in St Petersburg on Jan. 31 1881. She studied with the Imperial Ballet School attached to the Mariinsky Theatre. Her main teacher was Marius Petipa. She made her debut at 17, and by 1906 she had become the Mariinsky's principal ballerina. In 1907 she made her first foreign tour, and in 1908, on her second, joined Diaghilev's Ballets Russes.

In 1912 she purchased Ivy House in Hampstead, England, where she established her own school of dance. She made her last appearance in St. Petersburg in 1913 and spent the rest of her career almost constantly on tour, bringing ballet to millions for the first time through the drawing power of her legendary name.

From the Ballerina Gallery where there are more images of Anna Pavlova.
Visit Wiki for more.

3 comments:

Bossy Betty said...

Gorgeous dress! I'd love to wear that to the grocery store.

Interesting info about Anna. Sure you're not named after her?

Leanne said...

I have not seen the movie . . . YET! But I can't wait to see it - specifically for the art. And thank you for sharing the info about Anna Pavlova. It's so interesting to be drawn to someone from another place and time. I loved hearing about how you are drawn to her. Hope you are having a wonderful day!

Melissa said...

Alice in Wonderland is one of my favorite movies, and I am eager to see this incarnation of the story because of the colors and art effects. Thanks for reminding me!