witches witches everywhere

Can you believe we're nearly halfway through October? It just goes by all too fast! There's lots of witchy magic in the air here in my little world. I'm so excited about the Halloween Party at A Fanciful Twist this Saturday. My post is almost ready and I've been rummaging through my carpet bags for my favorite pair of strippey socks.


It's witches witches everywhere! I finished up a few ATCs for my swap at The Great ATC Witch Swap. I also made holders for them which is something I started doing for all my ATCs.

When my cable and internet went out the other day I popped in a dvd of one of my favorite witchy shows. Do you remember the series The Worst Witch? It was based on the books by Jill Murphy and is believed by many to be the predecesor to Harry Potter. It's about a magical school (in an old castle) for young girls/witches. Sounds a little familiar?




The original pilot movie starred Fairuza Balk who went on to star in the movie 'The Craft'. And the series version starred a young girl named Georgina Sheridan. The series went on for several seasons and was filmed in Canada.


My favorite part was actually the set. I love the cozy look of the ageing English castle (I guess they're all ageing!) and the staff room was my favorite in particular. It was obviously a set and nothing like the grand scale that Hogwarts is in but it had a charm to it and I always thought it would be enchanting to be a teacher there. I personaly relate to Miss Bat the best. It's also been said that the Potions Mistress, Miss Hardbroom, might have been JK Rowling's inspiration for Pf. Snape.


There are loads of videos on YouTube if you search and some of the episodes are available on dvd. Here's the intro with the cute little song that I actually know by heart and will sing whilst doing a rare bit of housework every now and then.


14 comments:

Victoria said...

Wow..your witches are beautiful and stunning...gorgeous creations!! and lovely fun post! how cool!! I am flying now!
Victoria~

Leanne said...

Never come across The Worst Witches before - will watch on you tube next spare moment.
Thanks for sharing.

Love Leanne

My Grama's Soul said...

I've never heard of The Worst Witches....but I must say I'm a HUGE Harry Potter.....even at my advanced (O:(O:
age.

Cheers,

Jo

Netty said...

Love your ATCs. In England we also had the Worst Witch but as a drama series and it was great fun. Annette x

AlphaBetsy said...

I actually own the original movie of the worst witch with Fairuza Balk. Tim Curry as the Grand High Wizard singing anything can happen on Halloween is awesome too. It is hysterically bad and completely wonderful. The DVD also has a "book of shadows" that is very real. :) The Worst Witch is one of my favorite Halloween guilty pleasures.

Linda said...

Hi Anna, As always your ACT's are amazing. I love them all. You do such nice work.
I have to say that I have never heard of "The Worst Witch" Looks like a fun show. You can be sure that I will go over to You Tube and watch a few shows.

Scrap Vamp said...

Gorgeous cards! Love the witches!I used to watch the Worst Witch a very long time ago but I had forgotten it! Thanks for the reminder! YouTube here I come!

Sara said...

I used to love the worst witch. I remember watching it as a kid. THanks for reminding me about it. I am off to do a search on you tube now. Hugs Sara

Anonymous said...

Worst Witch sounds vaguely familiar and when PP mentioned Tim Curry I think I have seen at least one snippet.

Over winter I have to become more familiar with ATCs. I am seeing such beautiful and fascinating works of art in this format.

Anonymous said...

Worst Witch sounds vaguely familiar and when PP mentioned Tim Curry I think I have seen at least one snippet.

Over winter I have to become more familiar with ATCs. I am seeing such beautiful and fascinating works of art in this format.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Never saw the tv series. But loved the film version, which used to be on tv, at th is time of year. Dianna Rigg was in it and she is one of my favorite actress's. And the guy who played in "Rocky Horror Picture Show" but I can't remember his name.

Oh yes, I sooooooooo love such films/shows with that old ambiance. Love it!!!!!!

Please list some other such films/programs, which have that delicious old ambiance. :-)

And btw, I also love your pretty witches. Do not like ugly portraits of witches. -pooooooooh-

Gentle hugs....

Charlene said...

Cute!!!!!! I had never heard of the series. Now you've peaked my curiosity. I'll have to go check out some more. I also went to Amazon to order Practical Magic. I hadn't seen it in 4Ever & wanted to see it again after your Party. Halloween Hugs & I love your ATC cards.
Charlene

Martina said...

Gorgeous witches! I do enjoy seeing your artwork!!!

Theresa MacNaughton said...

Hi Anna, I just finished my Halloween Party post today. Hope you'll be able to "fly" by! :) Your witch ATCs are awesome. :) You truly do such AMAZING artwork!!!! :) And thanks for posting info on The Worst Witch. I've never heard of it. I'll be checking out You Tube! LOL
See you tomorrow! Theresa