witches brew

Sometimes I think I hear things go bump in the night. And usually it's just Luna palying with Mr Mao, her toy mouse. Last night the bump in the night came from the kitchen. I tip toed softly. Nothing out of the ordinary.


Bump. There it was again. In the fridge. A rattle that sounded like glass bottles doing the samba next to the milk.



It was about the right time for my midnight Cocoa Krispies break. I braved opening the refridgerator door to grab the milk. There they were. Nearly empty jars of marmalade, salsa and sauce. Rolling around between the leftovers. A wee lightbulb went on in my brain.



After cleaning out the jars I headed over to my computer and whipped up a few sinister labels. I needed to age and grunge up the jars so I gave them a coat of Gesso. Let it dry then dabbed on black and burnt umber paint here and there. A bit of twine and a drizzle of beeswax (my first try) and I had a wicked set of apothecary jars.



This morning I stopped by Home Depot and picked up a couple of inexpensive drawer knobs and plopped them on top of my witchy crafts.I love them. And yes the lids still smell like salsa and marmalade. These will be perfect for the Halloween  party next week at A Fanciful Twist so make sure you come back to see it all come together.



Shhhh.....my son Sebastian's 14th birthday is tomorrow. I have to be somewhere else early in the day so I'm surprising him with an early cake and gifts when he comes home from school this afternoon. I love this boo cake from Martha but I think I'll do something with his favorite shows. Ghost Hunters, GHI and Myth Busters. How did he get to be 14? It seems like it was only yesterday that I was planning a Winnie the Pooh in the haunted woods party for him. How time flies....


24 comments:

Cameron said...

I love, love, LOVE those jars! What a crafty witch you are :)

I might become a robber witch, and steal that clever idea!

Happy Birthday wishes for your boy! My daughter is 4....and I know those 10 years will go by quickly :( Have a wonderful celebration!

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

OH I LOVE those JARS!!! I'm off to the fridge to investigate some of my own!!! Thank you SO MUCH!
Hugs, Donna

Marfi-topia said...

Anna, the jars look incredible.
cant wait to see your party post.
I hope Sebastian enjoys his wonderful surprise!

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

Anna, Do you mind if I ask you "Pretty Please" where you got the label info???
I REALLY would love to make a few of these...
Hugs, Donna

Scrap Vamp said...

Awesome jars! You'd never think they were repurposed! So cool! Happy Birthday to your son!

Kathy said...

Love those jars! Very, cool And the Winnie The Pooh in the Haunted Woods party memory...all I can say is awwww....have a kleenex and wipe your eyes. Great post. - Kathy

Linda said...

Happy Birthday Sabastian. ( i hope I spelled it right). Hope he is very surprised and happy.
Loved the lables....where did you find them? On line? I need some too. You have the greatest stuff....I have been looking all over.

Dandelion Dreams said...

Happy birthday to Sebastian! Great cake!

And I adore the jars. Your idea for using inexpensive knobs is PERFECT!!!!! That opens up sooooooo much!! I'm totally making a note so I can remember this. lol

Way to upgrade instead of discard!! Have a beautiful weekend!

Karen said...

Anna,

I absolutely love those jars! I hope your son enjoys his 14th birthday and that cool looking cake. Happy Boo Day to him!

Karen

Theresa MacNaughton said...

You did a FABULOUS job with those jars. Love love love em! And many birthday wishes to your son! Hope he has a great day! Theresa

Laura said...

i think i have to go dig some jars out of the recycle bin! your jars are fabulously spooky!
happy birthday to your son!
blessings
~*~

Unknown said...

I love them what a great idea to do with your old jars. I have some just hanging around, I think I'll whip up some spooky apothecary jars!! Thanks for the post. You are so creative!!

Blessings
Lisa

Anonymous said...

OH DEAR!!! Do you have a cat named Luna as well???? I do too! Lady Luna to be exact....she is laying RIGHT HERE....I am surprised you cannot hear the purring!!! :) She is purring about your fabulous blog!!

Unknown said...

Those jars are AMAZING! Heh, I'm sure several of us will be "borrowing" these tips to make our own :)

Happy Birthday to Sebastian! Yes, time does fly :)

Kelly said...

My goodness those are just adorable! I want some now! XD

Hugs, Kelly

Nita Stacy said...

I just became your newest follower. Love all the Halloween you have going on over here. Love those jars. I've been eyeing the jars in my frig too thinking about how I could spook them up. Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Junibears said...

How creative! A really fab idea. I love your spooky jars and that cake! WOW.
Hugs xx

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Oh happy sighhhhh... Your creativity is amazing. Do you really realize, all the time, how lucky you are, to have unleashed your imagination , to be able to do such things? :-)

Gentle hugs...

brandi said...

~brightest birthday wishes to yours...may he be blessed with an abundance of l♥ve and laughter to fill his heart...moments and memories to come that he will remember always...happy "birth" day to you and Sebastian...your cake is fabulous...and those jars...well i think everyone has summed up how gorgeous they are! pure magic in every way...warm wishes and brightest blessings~

JoAnne said...

Love those jars! The Home Depot knobs were the perfect touch. The cake is looking pretty good too!

Victoria said...

Wow..you are Fabulous..gorgeous and creative beauties!! Yay..hope you all have a happy b-day celebration!

JoAnne said...

Anna, I had to siop back to tell you that wand you made for Wendy is AMAZING!!!!!

Wendy said...

Ok,
I am heading to the fridge to empty out all the jars of the junk I haven't used in forever, and some I might have but who cares. I want those adorable apothecary jars. Just what I need. Another project to stay up late and work on, but I cant help it, Those are just toooooo Spooky cute. I love the labels as well. How awesome.

****HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SEBASTION***
and happy Ghost hunting.

Spells and Wishes,
Wendy from Wonderland

Plumrose Lane said...

Gawd, your creations are fabulous ~ love those jars, too magickal indeed!
I know what you mean about your son too, mine just turned 15, ouch! The years go by SO quickly.
♥Sharon