art deco paper dress and something amazing


Told you I would be right back!

I'm so late for the April Dress Up challenge that it's already time for May! But I still wanted to make a dress, especially since the theme was Art Deco.

When I think of Art Deco I think of old Hollywood glamour and those classic black and white films from the 30's and early 40's. The iconic Art Deco gown silhouette was very tubular and barely skimmed over the body. Graphic design and surface embellishment were popular, particularly the use of beads and jewels.

Full length gowns, many with trains, were all the rage with the back usually bare. A big departure from the short Flapper dresses of the 20's which emphasized the legs.


This vintage dress isn't quite full lenght (love that handkerchief hemline) but the silhouette is very Art Deco. It was used in the PBS mini series "Upstairs Downstairs".

So, how to interpret this theme in a little paper dress?



I used a glittery black and white graphic paper which looked Art Deco-y to me and cut out a long skinny evening dress. I cut out trim from silver embossed paper to add embellishment around the hips and clipped on a vintage rhinestone earring.



Then I outlined the edges and added some detail with a metallic silver pen.

And that is my Art Deco paper dress!

I also wanted to share something amazing I discovered recently.....

The Legion of Honor museum in San Francisco is currently featuring works by artist Isabelle de Borchgrave in an exhibit called Pulp Fashion.

She creates unbelievably beautiful dresses with exquisite detail. Some are like costumes and others are haute couture.


What is absolutely mind boggling is that they are made entirely of paper! How's that for the ultimate paper dress? You can go to her website and see her many collections and trust me, you will be amazed.

Hope you liked the little collection of dresses I put together today. And don't forget you can still see lots of lovely paper dresses if you visit Angela at Sew Loquacious.

15 comments:

Jeanie Callaghan said...

Fabulous dress! Well worth waiting for!

Ana Cristina Caldatto said...

Uauuuu que lindo! fabuloso sua criação!

Art From The heart said...

Love the dress,unique indeed !
Hugs, Amy

Angela said...

Your dress is gorgeous, Anna! I think the vintage earring is the perfect touch!
Pulp Fashion is amazing! Thanks for linking up!
Angela

Linda said...

What a wonderful dress you made and oh so stylish. Love the texture with the pattern. They go hand in hand.

JoAnne said...

Gorgeous Anna!

Thespoena McLaughlin said...

Gorgeous! Love your beautiful art deco dress. I so love the 1920's styles. I made a 1920's style cloche hat out of Graphic 45 paper that was fun. Makes you appreciate the work it takes to make gorgeous costumes made of paper. Thanks for sharing!

peggy gatto said...

It is so elegant and simple,just the right details.
Worth the wait!!!

Mrs A. said...

Gorgeous Paper dress. Very art deco.
Hugs Mrs A.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous, Anna!

Holly said...

Oh my gosh! I love your Art Deco dress. The accents just top it off!

CuddlyBunny said...

Your dress is just gorgeous!

And, thanks for sharing about the Pulp Fashion artist ... talk about AMAZING!

Theresa MacNaughton said...

Your dress is astoundingly beautiful! I just love it. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Anna. :) Theresa

Nancy Ward said...

Wanted you to know I posted a link to your challenge today on my blog.

Nancy Ward
PaperFriendly
http://www.nancywardcrafts.com

pchickki said...

OMG! This is wonderful, you did a fantastic job!
I am applauding you !
HUgs

Off to check out the other paper dresses :)