frosted treasures

"How silently they tumble down
And come to rest upon the ground.
To lay a carpet rich and rare,
Beneath the trees without a care."


"Content to sleep, their work well done,
Colors gleaming in the sun."



"Other times they wildly fly
Until they nearly reach the sky.
Twisting turning through the air
Till all the trees stand stark and bare."



"Exhausted, drop to earth below
To wait like children for the snow."

Leaves by Elsie N. Brady


Yesterday was one of our first really cold days. Frost still covered the rooftops and grass when I took my son to school in the morning. I found these amazing frosted treasures in my backyard and had to take a few pictures. On this last day of November I just want to take a deep breathe and savor the last quiet days of Autumn. It's hard not to think of Christmas and Winter when all the shops are trying their hardest to convince you that Autumn ended right after Halloween. I have neighbors that put up their Christmas lights the day after Halloween!



My mom and I had a great time shopping at Michael's this weekend. I found this beautiful silver frosted garland which will be perfect for my chandelier. Winter is an endless wonderland for a frost and glitter addict like me! I finally cleared out the last of the Autumn decorations yesterday, except for the pumpkins. They stick around a little bit longer. One or two even find their way under my tree.



There is something about December that remains bittersweet for me. Joyous occasions like my mom's birthday, our wedding anniversarry and Christmas are happy times. But ever since my dad passed away the holidays will always have a touch of sadness and it breaks my heart to see my mom without him. Every day I'm in constant awe of her courage and tenacity. This December also marks one year since I lost my kitty Kushka and the memories have been especially hard. So much of the season reminds me of the last moments I had with her. I still miss her very much. This is partly why I've been absent most of November, along with also giving my arm a rest. But there is much beauty and joy to look forward to. These lovely  papers are ready for my next project and I have boxes of garland and shiny ornaments waiting to come out and play.

Have you taken your decorations out of hiding yet? What's your favorite way to welcome the season? I have a very simple little tradition. I love hot chocolate. I drink it like most people drink coffee. As soon as the first frosty morning arrives I run to the store and buy whipped cream and all Winter I top my cocoa with a HUGE dollop  of it! Yum!




12 comments:

Junibears said...

Such a beautiful posting Anna and I love your gorgeous photos. The frost makes everything look so magical.
Hugs
xx

MJ Ornaments said...

Just beautiful! ~Martha

Ursa said...

The frosted leaf shots are so wonderful!

best,
Ursa

Marfi-topia said...

the leaves look gorgeous, as does the glittery garland you found....you don't have to tell me about glitter and frost....I'm an addicted too:)
Your mom is very fortunate to have you in her life,bet you had lot's of fun shopping together.
Thank you for these lovely inspirational photos
I love cocoa too! I usually make mine with loads of cinnamon and vanilla.
have a great night.

Linda said...

Beautiful post Anna, I have lots of good as well as bad memories of the month of December. I too lost my Dad, I have a birthday. For me it is bitter sweet. Your photos are beautiful. Hope to hear from you soon.

Heathen said...

I can't believe you got frost already! Here in Florida we won't get it until January, if we get any at all.

My decorations have all been put out now. I always bring them out on the long Thanksgiving weekend. Hot cocoa sounds yummy, I like mine with a peppermint stick in it!

Leanne said...

So sweet, dear Anna. My Dad passed away in December (very close to Christmas), so thoughts of the holidays always lead to that time of his passing and sadness. I've tried so very hard (since having my daughters) to keep the next 25 days exactly what I want them to be - a celebration of wonderful joyful and heartwarming times. (But your post does touch my heart so very much.)

I have decorated (like crazy) this year, and still do LOVE this time of year so very very much. My beverage of choice this time of year - peppermint mocha from starbucks. It's yummmy!!!

Cindy Adkins said...

Hi Anna,
What beautiful pictures...and I miss my dad this time of year too...and I wish my mom had him with her...gosh, it's such a loss...and I know how you feel...

Sending hugs your way and thanking you for the joy you spread to others...
XO

brandi said...

~wonderful last glimpse of the autumnal days...the leaves are gorgeous with the frost delicately sprinkled about...i wish you only a season ahead where your heart and mind are at ease...losing a love is ever so difficult...and only time can slowly heal such emptyness...though i know the emotions never fully go away...remembering and honoring your loves is the most beautiful gift we can give them to keep their spirit alive...i wish you well this day and always...warm wishes and brightest blessings~

Victoria said...

Hi Anna...what a beautiful post..your nature photos captivated me into stillness and a joyfull cocoon! thankyou! yay..i love shopping at Micheal's too..such fun! And hugs to you about your beautiful Kitty..wishing you memories of love and comfort!
HUgs and Blessings
Victoria~

Theresa MacNaughton said...

What absolutely gorgeous photos, Anna! Those leaves look so lovely covered in a layer of delicate frost. So sorry about the loss of your sweet kitty - it takes so much time for the pain of our furry baby passings to lessen. Big hugs. We have SOME of our decorations out. It's been hectic and so busy around here - I have fallen behind on everything. LOL Hope your arm is on the mend! Theresa :)

scrapwordsmom said...

Aww, Anna...just like Leanne's post today you are giving me hope for Christmas. I have been in a funk...

Your blog is just amazing...breath taking, really. Always keep it so lovely...so you!

Leslie