counting down

It feels like ages since I've been here! I have been trying to be good and resting my arm. It's also been beyond mad here with all the home issues that decided to pop up all at the same time. The plumbing is fixed so now we have to deal with the damages from repairing it....like the holes in our wall and all the tile that needed to be ripped out. We have learned very quickly that homeowners insurance policies are far from homeowner friendly. For instance we learned that insurance does not cover plumbing repairs. Nooooo. Because plumbing conveniently falls under maintainance. Go figure. And I won't even tell you about the completely unrelated electrical problem that decided this would be the perfect time for our wiring to go haywire. So I have been up to my eyebrows in dosmetic unbliss sans the use of one arm. Yesterday I thought I would try out the arm and indulge in a little bit of painting and I pushed it a little too far. Sooo it's back to typing with one hand again....


In other news....my son and I are counting down the days to Friday, when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1) opens. We already have our tickets and as we've done in the past we dress up our car to look like The Knight Bus (on the inside) and we make little Honeydukes bags that we fill with our own kettlecorn and snacks that we sneak into the theatre in one of my carpet bags!


It's so strange to think that this is already the final film. Harry Potter literally defined my son's childhood. From the time we started reading the first book together when he was 6 to this day, Sebastian has been completely immersed in the whole Potter universe. I really believe it's why he is such a great reader and student. It fueled his imagination (and mine) which gave him the tools to use his creativity in different aspects of his life.


Over the years we've attended midnight book releases and opening day for the movies together. We scoured thrift shops, used bookstores and Ebay for Potter treasures and we have our annual HP birthday event every summer. I will really miss Harry and the magic he's brought to our muggle lives the last decade. In a way it also means the end of my son's childhood so it's bittersweet. But I will always be grateful for the magical memories and whenever I hear that now iconic music (Hedwig's Theme) it brings me back again to the very beginning.



Oh the pics are from my son's room. That's part of his HUGE Potter collection. The Daily Prophet is one he made for one of our summer events, and the last pic is part of a mural I painted on his wall a few years ago.




12 comments:

Laura said...

I'm so excited too but yet so sad that it's coming to an end. I did hear in a JKR interview where she said recently she may not be "done" with Harry Potter. I guess there is always hope! :)
I love the Daily Prophet your son made. So creatively done!

Joane said...

I'm so looking forward to Harry Potter too. Your son's childhood maybe coming to and end but, at least, as you say, when you hear that lovely tinkling of Hedwig's theme you'll have a wonderful memory. My son is now almost 22 so I don't have the luxury of listening to lovely music to bring it all back. I'd say my son's musical theme for his childhood is the theme from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Not so romantic....

My Grama's Soul said...

What a wonderful post.....so sorry about your bum arm.....You know, I too, love Harry Potter and I'm 64...I have read all the books and seen most of the movies.......Love It.

Xo

Jo

Theresa MacNaughton said...

I am very excited for the film, too. I can't believe it's going to be broken into two parts. I do remember with glee all the fun of planning and attending our late night Harry Potter parties and getting to dress up for the festivities. I made pygmy puffs and bubbling cauldrons. It will be sad to see it all come to an end, after part 2. Hope your arm gets better soon - and I'm sorry you've had to deal with all these annoying house troubles. But have fun at the film! Theresa

Sara said...

hope you have a great time at the film. What a shame its coming to an end. Hope your arm is soon better and I hope you get the house sorted out soon. Please stop by my blog for a tea party swap. Hugs Sara

Linda said...

I am sad too that it is coming to an end. Such a wondrous story line. I would love to see pics of you and Sabastian the night you go to the premire. Where did you get the Harry Potter action figure? I would love to get some. Have a wonderful time at the premire. It is time for some great magic on the healing of your arm. I got my wand out for the spell.

Wendy said...

I missed you but I understand you need to rest that arm.. my boys and I will be going to see Harry Potter too. Being English I have to say I love seeing places from home. I have stood many times at Kings cross waiting for a train.
and Privet Drive looks so like my mother in laws street that the first time we saw it both boys ask if it was Nanna's house....

Have fun at the movies
Hugs Wendy

Jill Marcott-McCall ~Feathers & Flight~ said...

We are so Looking Forward to the Movie too! We Love Harry Potter! I agree..its a Shame that this story can't go on.
I also Love the Story behind JK Rowling too. A woman with very little means coming up with a Absolutely Brilliant Idea for a Most Magical Book!She Inspired a Whole New Generation of Young Readers as Well as us Older Ones!
Sorry for Rambling On!I had a Pollyanna Moment!
Happy Wednesday Anna!
Hugs
Jill

scrapwordsmom said...

I just cannot get over how delightful and breathtaking your blog is. It is the PRETTIEST blog around!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy a fun time with your son. You are such a sweet Mama:)

Leslie

Sinderella's Studio said...

You and Sebastian will relive all these moments many many times - especially when he is really all grown up and has children of his own! What a treasure to have for both of you!
enjoy the magic!
dana

Little Messy Missy said...

Very jealous you are seeing it tomorrow, I will be taking my two teenagers on Thanksgiving!!! Can't wait!

rachaelH said...

Once again I simply delight in your blog! Such pretty artwork. I, too, understand your HP nostalgia; I started reading the books when I was about 13 and now that I'm 25, here are the beginning of the end for the films! Isn't literature wonderful, though, in how it creates stories that don't just last through different cultures but hopefully through the ages?
many healthy blessings to your arm :)