alter it monthly

And now for the other monthly challenge.
When I said I wanted to go on a creative journey I guess I wasn't kidding!
It's been one art challenge after another this week but I love it.
I always learn a lot and I love being inspired by everyone's creations.



September's theme at Alter it Monthly is RUST.
I did a digital  'rust' a while back but have not yet tried a handmade one.
I decided to go whimsical with mine so here is my RUST.



The item I altered is a small tin mint container.
It was just a plain matte silver color. To make it 'rusty' I first covered it
with Gesso. After it dried I was able to do a faux rust finish with
regular acrylic paints. Then I sealed it with varnish.



It was the perfect size to hold this wee little creature I found in my paint box!

'Lepedopera Rustica'
Quite rare you know. The only species of moth with an affinity
for rusty old buttons and safety pins. Very active in late summer.
Keep away from bodies of water.

My little specimen sample is made from a vintage image found in an old
book of French photographs. The wings are from a calendar.
The piece of paper behind her is a page from a book that my son decided
to dunk in a vat of dark tea I was using for another project.
I liked how it came out so I used it here. The buttons were also
'rusted' with paint over Gesso.

This was too much fun to make!

16 comments:

Junibears said...

This is a wonderful effort Anna. You've made me think about empty tins and what I might do with them!! I just love all your work. xx

Zuzu's Blog said...

Great Job.. perfect for an altered art page and for rust. thanks again Anna for bringing your quirky fun arty objects to alter it monthly to share with us all.

Little Messy Missy said...

Very cool. I had never thought of using a mint container.
xoxoxox

Netty said...

Terrific idea, thanks for the inspiration. Will try this. Love yours. x

Jeannette said...

I love reading your blog it is always so fun.Thanks for the techniques as well.

Gillian .... said...

Fantastic Faux Rust technique to this altered tin Anna, thank you again for sharing your work with us at Alter It Monthly.

Theresa MacNaughton said...

It's gorgeous, Anna. You're doing a wonderful job on your challenges. I SO wish I had the time to try some. I'm falling behind on my Suzi Blu class - if I can just get past the technie stuff (color scales), I'll start zipping through!!!!

Cindy Adkins said...

Big 'WOW"--I love it!!! And think it is brilliant...totally fantastic!!!
Hugs
xox

Linda said...

I love your blog. You are a great inspiration and thanks for all your tips. It's been a while but I like altering things too. Keep up the good work.thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

That is such a clever creation. Great idea ...
Have a beautiful PS & holiday weekend.
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Leanne said...

It's official ... you are seriously, like, the coolest person I know! ;)

Anonymous said...

Fantastic piece of rusty art! Love the buttons!
Alison

Gaby Bee said...

Your rusty interpretation is wonderful! Love your tin!

My name is Cindy said...

Fantastic!!

Rika said...

Wonderful piece!

donna said...

I love your rusty creation. What fun.