february artful bag challenge


*  *  Please click here if you participated in last month's challenge. *  *



Happy February!

I think I can say that the Artful Bag Challenge got off to a great start. I was just amazed by the beautiful and creative bags everyone came up with. Thank you to all of you who played along and shared your sweet little paper purses.

Before I start on February I have a winner to announce and one more bag to share. Sandy from Sandy's Space created the adorable bag below. It's sweet and feminine and makes me think of Spring. I love the flowers on the button which match the flowers in the background. Sandy is sponsoring the January challenge and is offering the book Purse Pizzaz to the random drawing winner.

Thank you Sandy!


Since Sandy and I are not included in the drawing the actual total number of participants is 27 (Sandy didn't add her link but I added mine first to test the Linky). This means everyone's number jumps back by one. Number 2 becomes 1, etc. I used the Random Number Generator this time and the winner is...


Number 8 who is really #9, and that is Debbie from Simply Debbie
Congratulations Debbie!


Enjoy your book!

*   *   *   *

Now on to the Febraury Artful Bag Challenge!
Our second theme is Alter It. The objective is to take any object that is NOT a bag and turn it into one. Boxes, pudding cups, bottles, mint tins, plaques...anything you can think of. The finished product can be decorative or functional but should clearly look like a bag.

Since there was such an abundance of Valentines stuff out I decided to use a box of Sweethearts candies. I couldn't resist all the fun pink and sweet pastel colors. I imagined going to a Valentines Day tea in Wonderland with the Mad Hatter himself.


I covered the box with Gesso and washed it with different shades of pink, lime and yellow gold. The Mad Hatter and tea set graphics are from my Halloween Alice in Wonderland scrapbook papers by Graphic45.



I cut out part of the front to create the flap and painted a black and white stripe along
the edges. Then I added black trim to the flap, black paper roses and
puffy pink glittery hearts.



The handle is made from the stems of 2 silk roses which I twisted into shape then hot glued on. I also added a large vintage pearl bead to create the 'clasp' and 4 smaller ones for the feet.



I thought of this saying which I remember seeing on another project in Somerset Studio. I always liked it because I think of myself that way. I love pinks and frills but always need a touch of black and a bit of grunge or it's too too sweet. I guess I'm just not sweet enough!



I hope you will decide to play along this month. Remember the challenge is open the entire month. I will add a button to the sidebar to make it easy to find this post. I can't wait to see all your fabulous creations again. If you didn't join us last month you are very welcome to start this month. Please feel free to visit the Artful Bag Challenge page for schedule and guidelines or drop me an email anytime.

The new Linky tool is right below.
Please add the link to your bag post.
See you soon.


27 comments:

Jem said...

Such a pretty, irreverant and funky feminine purse! I love the little 'not sweet enough' banner across the bag flap!

Jem x

Jeanie Callaghan said...

What a great inspiration! This is a real treasure. Can't wait to get started on mine.

Angela said...

Anna,
Your Mad Hatter bag is awesome! I love the pink and black together, not to mention that it started out as a sweetheart packet!!
I've started on my my bag, but it isn't finished yet. I can't wait to see all the great ones that will be popping up!
Oh, I noticed the Linky tool charge, too. I put up a Simply Linked widget for the February Dresses. It was pretty easy...and free.
Take care,
Angela

Angela said...

I forgot to say, "Congrats" to Debbie! Terrific prize!
Angela

chrissy o said...

beautiful bag for this months challang im not sure what to do to add mine this time so will put my blog address below
chrissy o
http://scrapsofchrissy.blogspot.com

Sandy Ang said...

What a fabulous start to the Artful Bag challenge. I had a great time blog hopping to admire all your bags. Congrats Debbie !

Linda said...

How sweet it is! Oh Anna you out did yourself this time. Very cute, whimsicle and original.

Take a look at my creation at momentsinaneye@blogspot.com

CuddlyBunny said...

Anna, what a beautiful sweethearts bag! This is an excellent inspiration for the month's challenge!

Also, congratulations to Debbie on the book win!

Asas à imaginação said...

Hi,Anna!
Oh!I like altered!I like your bag...is fantastic!!!
Congratlations to Debbie!
Hugs
Marlei

Fran. said...

How flippin cute is that Anna! Very clever and so sweet yet whimsical!! And you are sweet enough!! Working on mine but we are having a blizzard right now so I can't get to JoAnns yet to get the last thing I need for it! Darn it!! Congrats to Debbie!! Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!! XO Love, Fran.

Kathy said...

Absolutely lovely!! I want to learn from you!!

Margaret said...

Gorgeous bag and so beautifully photgraphed! Mx

PATRICIA said...

Hi Anna, have already changed my packing, I loved the result, also I hope you enjoy. I loved YOUR bag

http://pkaragulian.blogspot.com/2011/02/artful-altered-dicas-true-colors.html

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh my gosh--your bag is unbelievably GORGEOUS!!!
XO

Simply Debbie said...

I LOVE YOUR PURSE...IT IS DARLING AND I AM JUMPING FOR JOY OVER WINNING SANDY ANG'S BOOK GIVE AWAY. I AM SO EXCITED TO RECEIVE IT AND START MAKING BEAUTIFUL THINGS.
THANK YOU BOTH
HUGS AND HUGS
HAVE A SUGAR SWEET DAY
SIMPLY DEBBIE

Janice said...

Lovely bag/purse. Have to think about what to alter.

Linda M. said...

Anna, Your bag is too sweet! (lol) It is gorgeous and so creative!! I'm going to add the challenge to my side bar and one of these days I'll make one and join in on the fun. Thanks.

Victoria said...

Super wow!! these gorgeous bags are so dazzling..charming treasures..beautiful Anna!! Yay what fun!!You are so talented!!

Patricia's Paper Crafts said...

All the bags are so lovely!

Thespoena McLaughlin said...

I finally finished my altered bag for this month. What fun! Thanks for the challenge!

Thespa
Vintiquities Workshop

Electra said...

Anna, I absolutely LOVE your purse this month! Thanks for the inspiration!

peggy gatto said...

your bag is really quite glamorous!
I decide to use a bag that was that was used for the "bacon of the month " club!

Pauline said...

I missed signing on in January, but have a February project in at #21 ... what an awesome event this is... can't wait to see them all!
hugs and blessings,
Pauline

Toni said...

how adorable is this. I would looooove to have an actual purse like this. lol Great job !

Mrs A. said...

Have just tried twice going into linky to reload my January bag for you but its not there. Perhaps if I stop watching the screen I will turn up twice!

Mrs A. said...

Have just entered my bag for February. Now going to see if I can upload January again.

Rosemary said...

I tried to add my bag and be patient to see if it loaded but I still don't see it. So, perhaps for the third time (please don't hate me, lol) is a link to my bag. Just under the wire!

http://freeadvicewortheverypenny.blogspot.com/2011/02/dreary-day-needs-something-pretty-to.html