summer, glamping and one more for harry


My son came home from school with his yearbook today. He has the last of his finals tomorrow, one more day of wrapping up his sophomore year, then summer begins.



I'm never ready for summer. Particularly our summer here in Tomatoland. Mother Nature has been kind to us this year, teasing us with cooler temperatures the last few weeks. It has been downright gusty these past three days with cool nights sending me to dig out the warm fuzzy boots I already tossed to the back of my closet.

 

 
We have been enjoying late night walks on the canal trail that runs through our neighborhood. We live right along the river and these canals keep our little neighborhood from flooding during a heavy rain storm. I love our night time walks, especially when the moon light reflects on the water and the canopy of trees remind me of my favorite camping spots.

 

 
Today we start the first of our typical summer heatwaves. Nothing less than 90 the next 2 weeks and at least one or two days in the 100's next week. The lambs ear in my front yard is already bracing for the sun and it's doing a much better job than I am. I am not a hot weather girl as you probably might know.

 

 
But summer also turns my thoughts to camping and I do love to camp in the woods. Among the tall redwoods my state is famous for or along the ocean where the sound of the crashing surf lulls you into a deep restful sleep. So I plan to escape the summer heat by dreaming of such magical places.

 


 
Although I love our extra large family tent I honestly wouldn't mind doing the glamping thing in a tent like this one at Mary Jane's Farm in Moscow, Idaho.

 

 
If you're familiar with the magazine Mary Jane's Farm this Bed and Breakfast is by the same Mary Jane.

 

Mary Jane combines a bed and breakfast experience with a romantic camping one.

 

 
She grows organic produce on her farm and is a great supporter of simple, organic living.

 

 
The perfect end to a lovely day.



 
Even the fairies would envy this I think.



 
Yes I can definitely do this kind of camping. Would you?

 
 My son will be a junior next year....11th grade, I still can't believe it. The thought seems to be sending me into a curious sort of panic. I have two years to get him ready for the rest of his life! Time to seriously work on his college stuff, scholarships, internships and other things I'm trying not to think about just yet. He's doing such a great job so I better do mine.

 


But we have one last Harry Potter event to do next month. He wanted to finish up with number eight just like the movies and I'm not complaining. Celebrating Harry's birthday is a summer tradition we have followed the last seven years. I thought he was done after last year but he's not quite willing to say goodbye to Harry just yet. And I'm not ready to let go of the magic either so I'm going to savor every minute of it.

Have a beautiful week.


8 comments:

Art From The heart said...

Oh so love your post.
It has been HOT here in Michigan,just not my thing. I wilt and get tired of the heat. Your walks look lovely !
Hugs

Lisa said...

I know what you mean. My "baby" boy is a senior next year. How did that happen?
XO,
Lisa

Marfi-topia said...

What a sweetie he is:)
I hate the summer too... It's just a countdown to autumn if nothing else .
I love the glamping... But it can't be done here, I'd roast right up!

Toriz said...

I haven't been camping in years; wouldn't mind going again.

One more for Harry sounds like a good plan to me! :)

Sinderella's Studio said...

it is amazing how one day our kids are not babies anymore...my oldest turns 30 this year and I can't for the life of me believe it. Enjoy your walks...enjoy that last Harry Potter party! and, yes, even I would relish camping Mary Jane style!
cheers, dana

Tanya said...

This is my sort of camping fabulous

Anonymous said...

It has been so long since I have been camping. Looking at these pictures. YES! I could so enjoy every moment of camping here.
Hugs
A

Linda said...

Awesome post Anna. Beautiful camping ideas. I would love to go. Thanks for sharing.