good words + missing followers update


Update: Anyone else notice their followers have gone missing? I just checked the forum and lots of people are having the same problem. Here's a link to a form to fill out to add your blog to the list. Hope they can sort it out soon. I just hit 460 then they all went away :( I miss seeing your smiling faces on my page!



I'm always looking for quotes. I love to read them and many of them, especially the ones about art and creativity really inspire me. Recently I came across one in a magazine that I hadn't seen before.

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can."

This is from tennis legend Arthur Ashe. It's been my favorite since I found it.



Sometimes I just get overwhelmed when I see or read about all the new products and techniques available to artists today. Looking through the pages of my favorite Stampington magazines, I can easily find a project featuring multiple steps and products and gadgets. And I honestly really love and appreciate all of them. But like so many of you, I'm also on a tight budget and my tiny space can barely hold what I already have.

This weekend I was at Michaels and debated way too long on whether to try the Tim Holtz crackle paints. I picked a few up, put one back, walked around with two, put another back, walked around with one...

How many of you have done this before?



Finally I thought about that Arthur Ashe quote and remembered that what I really love is just making something with stuff I already have. Plain old paint, paper and glue (ok and a few of those distress ink pads). So I put the last bottle back. 25% off wasn't a good enough sale for me anyway and I'll just wait until I can use the 40% off coupon they have every week.

Spreaking of using what I have...I decided to recycle old pictures from one of my early posts last year. I remember I found a package of these metal charms with words so I threw them in a bottle and took a few pictures.

I hope you had a great weekend. With or without new goodies to try, lol. Our bizzare weather continues here in 'sunny' California. I drove through a wicked thunderstorm yesterday during a 2 hour trip and all my winter clothes are still out. So so strange....

Do you have a favorite quote? I'd love to hear.


14 comments:

Art From The heart said...

Oh I do that all the time.My reason is age,I keep asking myself do I really need that? Where will I put it? and so on.
Makes me put things back a lot.
Hugs, Amy

Janet Ghio said...

Love this post. That is what I do at Michaels. Pick things up and caryy them around-then eventually put most of them back!!

Lisa said...

A favorite quote:
"Use it up, wear it out,
Make it do, or do without."

As you can probably guess, I applaud you for using what you have. I agree with your thinking. There are so many tempting products out there, but it makes good sense to use the supplies in the stash.
Love your blog!

ShabbyChicShaz said...

I do the same, I have to ask myself do I want it, or do I need it?? Hence alot of stuff gets put back :)

peggy gatto said...

Love the simplicity of the quote!!!
And yes, I do that more and more!!

Mrs A. said...

We went shopping to the supermarket today and as we were puting the goodies away hubby waved the empty cardboard box of tea bags under my nose saying I suppose you need this for your crafting!!!! Indeed I do. Wey hey I now have my basic bag for June. Off now to do a bit of snipping here and there and tarting up a bit.Hugs Mrs A.

My Grama's Soul said...

I have not been here in ever so long.....love this spring time look of your sweet blog.

I am a big recycler....I believe in "use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without". I, too, love using quotes...in fact I usually have a favorite one under my header and change it often.

Hugs to you,

Jo

Holly said...

I completely understand what you mean about getting overwhelmed by all of the goodies out there to buy. I contemplate & resist, contemplate & resist and often ultimately set things down. It is refreshing to get "back to basics" sometimes. You might be interested in a series Leslie over at http://www.comfortableshoesstudio.com/ has been writing this month about all of this. It's called the "Cult of Stuff". I stumbled on it last night and couldn't stop nodding my head as I read.

Sara said...

I do that constantly. I am always putting goods back. Sometimes I pick something up love it, then few seconds later think no dont love it so much now. Hugs Sara

chillin with Quillin said...

I am so like everyone here, I have learned to down size, and tell my self no, but the temptation is tough,lolPaula

Ivy said...

I loved this post...and I can most certainly relate to the overwhelm but also feeling the 'need' to have all the newest stuff...only to find that scissors, glue and images is all I really need!(ok, so maybe some glitter and Golden Paints...and anything by Tim Holtz...and that's why God created 40% off coupons at Michaels!!);]

My current fav quote is..."If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

I personally usually fall into the later category....lol

xoxo

Petunia said...

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Kim I love your quote! I'll have to add that one to my favorites. I think I would fall in the later category more often than not too!

Anna

Linda said...

Hi Anna, My favorite quote is:
One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower. It was written by, Hans Christian Anderson.
When I get into stores like Michaels...I can't always make up my mind...It is hard to reist. Sometimes I leave empty handed.

Theresa MacNaughton said...

Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures. ~Henry Ward Beecher

One of my favorites. :)