march artful bag

Ready for another Artful Bag Challenge? This month our theme is Embellish It! Grab one of those bags that's been sitting waaaay back inside your closet and turn it into a fabulous new artful bag. Add any type of trim, flowers, jewels, trinkets, embellishment, art....whatever you like. Just be sure to start with an actual bag this time.




This is a mini bag I've had for years which I still use once in a while. I usually add a small pin or flower and that's about it. It's a soft brushed quilted cotton velvet with a frame and small handle. I like that it has a bit of a vintage look to it. It measures 10hx9w (inches). I would love to find a similar bag, only three times the size!

Yes, I'm one of those little women who loves to carry a big bag the size of a suitcase. I mean Mary Poppins does right? Oh wait, that IS her suitcase, lol!

I have always wanted to embellish this bag a lot more so it was perfect for this theme.


I started by adding three rows of black pom pom trim that I tore of an older bag project. I attached them with little black safety pins which I planned to remove after basting the trim on. But I actually liked the look of the pins so I left them on.

I went through my stash of goodies and decided on velvet pansies, a pair of lovely handmade ribbon rose hairclips sent to me by my friend Linda, a sparkly green vintage brooch and a vintage pink floral pin I found at an antique fair. Then I kept adding more.



 I love this pendant/pin I got last year when the movie Alice In Wonderland came out. I have used it on other bags too. Don't you just love the Red Queen's crown?



It hangs from a long chain and this little charm is on the other end.



These are French ribbon rosettes I made last year.



Voila! A little Mary Frances inspired, with some gypsy and
vintage Wonderland thrown in.



It's actually very me, lol!

Now I just need a fun place to go so I can use it.


*    *    *    *

A quick note: I'm still trying to recover the set of links for the January bags. Remember they were lost when Mr Linky changed last month, and I had to switch to a different linky tool. If you did the January challenge and you haven't gone back to add your link again, please go HERE when you can, and help me get all our lovely January paper purses back. Thank you to all of you that already did.

Ladies, it's time to play!


The challenge is open all month.
Anyone can join in anytime, even if you didn't play before.
Please visit the Artful Bag Challenge page for details and to view
bags from past challenges.

I can't wait to see your fabulous embellished artful bags!


28 comments:

Toni said...

WOW !!! you made an already adorable bag into a more fabulous bag.... love the vintage look to it... can't wait to get started on mine... :)

Cameron said...

That is ultra fab! I might turn into a handbag girl with more projects like these....haha....I just use the same purse day after day....then replace when worn out....no fun! You got me thinkin' :D

Linda said...

Oh Anna, It's a totally whinsical and very Alice In Wonderland like. I love all you've done, the flowers, chains and such. A very fun bag indeed.
I will be posting mine soon.

Doll, Dress...Colors said...

lindissima!!!
ficou fabulosa!

Jeanie Callaghan said...

Fabulous bag! You have done a wonderful job!

Justina said...

Anna ,
Everything you do makes me smile ! Your bag is LOVELY!! It puts me in the mood for Spring !! Any day now and the buds will start growing on the trees, and the birds will start to sing :-) Can't Wait !
-Justina
xoxo

Ana Cristina Caldatto said...

Anna querida fiz minha participação espero que gostem!
beijos beijos

Anonymous said...

I love what you did with the bag. It looks amazaing now. You have given me such great ideas.
Hugs and sparkles
WG

voodoo vixen said...

Oh my, this is fabulous!! Love the vintagey look and the chains with the contrast pom poms.

peggy gatto said...

you did a beautiful transformation!!!!
What a great idea!!!!
now, where did I put that bag????????

Asas à imaginação said...

Anna, your bag is fantastic!!!
Loved the flowers, the pompoms and th Vintage's air!!!...soon I post wath I make...
You are very talent woman!
Hugs
Marlei

Heathen said...

This is beautiful! You should use it when you go out with your new parasol next week!

Theresa MacNaughton said...

Anna! This bag is GORGEOUS!!!! I say carry it everywhere. LOL It's so luscious and feminine and very spring. :) Wonderful job! Theresa xoxo

Jaluza Scrap said...

Linda!!!
Parabéns pela transformação.
Bjs

Patricia's Paper Crafts said...

Anna, wow what a pretty bag just right for spring lunch or evening out on the town.

Amy A said...

This turned out great! I wanna play! I just need time...ugh. Hopefully :)

Jaluza Scrap said...

Amei participar.
Estarei sempre aqui.

Thespoena McLaughlin said...

Absolutely gorgeous bag girl! Can't wait to play this weekend. Hope I can come up with something. I really don't have that many bags so the challenge for me is going to be finding one to use. Hugs!
Thespa
Vintiquities Workshop

Pellie / Penny said...

Anna, your bag is gorgeous - kind of Vintagey - I like that look.

Hugs,
Penny

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh Anna, I LOVE your purse...it's awesome!!! I don't have any purses to embellish...I had made one a few weeks ago for this challenge, but it was another one made with a matchbox...if I find a purse, I'll add it!
XO

Cindy Adkins said...

Hi Anna,
It is now the 8th in New Orleans (we're 2 hours ahead of you!) and I want to say Happy Birthday! and hope you have a beautiful, fun-filled day!!!
XO

Electra said...

Your bag is beautiful, Anna! You inspire me!

Angela said...

It's beautiful Anna. I love the flowers and the pendants!
Angela

Patricia's Paper Crafts said...

Your bag it lovely love the flowers and where they are place.

CuddlyBunny said...

I liked your bag before and I simply adore it after! What a beautiful creation!

Janice said...

I've still got time for this and I'm on vacation all next week, so will see what I can find in the back of my wardrobe :)

Pauline said...

Another awesome creation, Anna! This is stunning. I enjoyed creating for this month too... my head is swimming with bag ideas, so many in fact, that I may just have to take it on as another passion... I've too many ideas in my book for just a yearlong swap! Thank you SO MUCH for grabbing my mojo and dragging it to the surface again!
hugs and blessings,
Pauline

Wendy said...

Dearest Anna,
I absolutely love this bag. The rosettes, the flowers and vine. I love it all and how could I not love the Wonderland theme, and Crown of the Queen of hearts. I however, ADORE, the made with care in Wonderland sign. I need a million of those.
Wishes and Whimsy
Wendy from Wonderland